Helambu Classical Trek is the most popular trekking trail in Langtang region. Helambu Classical Trek is an ideal and the closest destination from Kathmandu for exploring the mountain nature, culture and tradition of mountain people in Nepal. Despite being fairly close to Kathmandu, the Helambu region remains relatively unspoilt trekking region and very well known for friendly and heartwarming hospitality of Sherpa and Tamang indigenous people. A devotional trek, which segues through a forest of blooming rhododendron, majestic waterfalls, and quaint villages of Tamangs and Sherpas communities, Helambu trek is a perfect destination for experiencing a noble combination of nature and culture.
The Helambu Cassical Trek begins from Kathmandu visiting UNESCO world cultural heritage sites which includes Pashupatinath, Boudhanath, Swoyambhunath and Kathmandu Durbar Square to experience the beautiful fusion of religion, culture and history, next drive to Sundarijal for about one and half hour, then trek to Helambu, an ultimate destination to experience the natural and cultural wonders in Langtang region, then after ends back to Kathmandu. Helambu classical trek is not only famous for its scenic grandeur but also memorable for its pleasant climate and culture as well.
Day 01 : Arrival in Kathmandu
Upon arrival in Kathmandu, meet and greet at the international airport and transfer to hotel. Short briefing of trip. Check in to hotel and rest for refreshment. Overnight at hotel, Kathmandu.
Day 02 : Kathmandu Sightseeing Tour – B
After breakfast, pick up from hotel and head towards the Kathmandu sightseeing tour especially UNESCO world cultural heritage site which includes Pashupatinath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa, Swoyambhunath Stupa, Kathmandu Durbar Square and Patan Durbar Square for the experience of beautiful fusion of religion, culture and history. These heritage monuments reflect centuries old culture, arts and architecture of Nepal which are unique in world. After tour, drop off to hotel and make a preparation for Helambu Classical Trekking including all the trekking permit and equipment. Overnight at hotel, Kathmandu.
Day 03 : Drive Kathmandu – Sundarijal (1,350m, 01 hrs) – Trek to Chisapani (2,300m, 05-06 hrs)- B/L/D
After breakfast, pick up from hotel and drive to Sundarijal (1,350m) for about 01 hour and start the trek to Chisapani. The begining of the trek gradually ascends up the ridge on a stone paved stepping trail, passing through the Shivpuri Watershed, Wildlife Reserve, and then reaches Mulkharka, a Tamang settlement. The trek heads down to Chisapani (2,300m) from the ridge through a forest of oaks and rhododendron. Chisapani is the best vantage point nearest to Kathmandu city, to observe the panoramic view of magnificent Himalayas in Langtang himalayan range. Overnight at Hotel, Chisapani.
Day 04 : Chisapani – Trek to Kutumsang (2,446m, 05-06 hrs) – B/L/D
After breakfast, start the trek to Kutumsang. The trek goes on a gradual descent trail to Gul Bhanjyang, crossing meadow and terraced fields via Pathi Bhanjyang. Then, the trail climbs up a ridge from Gul Bhanjyang and reaches another pass at 2,620m. After crossing the pass, the trail reaches Kutumsang. Overnight at Tea house, Kutumsang.
Day 05 : Kutumsang – Trek to Tharepati (3,510m, 05-06 hrs) – B/L/D
After breakfast, start the trek to Tharepati. The trek goes on mostly steepy trail and passes through fir and rhododendron forest. There are no permanent settlements around this particular region. The trek continues to Yurin Danda from where glorious and breathtaking views of the Himalayas comes to be sighted. Overnight at Tea house, Tharepati.
Day 06 : Tharepati – Trek to Tarke Ghyang (2,740m, 05-06 hrs) – B/L/D
After breakfast, start the trek to Tarke Ghyang. The trek, at first reaches Melamchi Khola and then reaches a settlement of Sherpa people calle Tarke Ghyang. Tarke Ghyang is the largest village in Helambu rigion. The village is popularly known as Helambu. The stone houses are close together with narrow lane separating them. Inside, the homes are large, clean and often elaborately furnished with elegant brassware and traditional Tibetan carpets on highly polished wooden floors. The region has one of the oldest and biggest monastery called Tarke Ghyang gompa, has a huge brass prayer wheel. Overnight at Tea house, Helambu.
Day 07 : Explore Tarke Ghyang – B/L/D
It is a rest day at Tarke Ghyang for excursion. It is a good place to take a rest. Make a half day climb to the peak (3,771m) directly north of village. From the chorten on the summit, superb views of the mountains can be seen to the north. Overnight at Tea house, Tarke Ghyang.
Day 08 : Tarke Ghyang – Trek to Shermathang (2,621m, 05-06 hrs) – B/L/D
After breakfast, start the trek to Shermathang. The trek today is comparatively easier than the previous days, as the trail goes through flat land and beautiful forest. On the way, the trek penetrates the village called Shermathang where some ancient monasteries can be explored. Overnight at Tea house, Shermathang.
Day 09 : Shermathang – Trek to Melamchi Bazaar (846m, 05-06 hrs) – B/L/D
After breakfast, start the trek to Melachi Bazaar. The trek gradually descends down to Melamchi Bazaar through meadows, cultivated fields and across several villages. En route, it provides an opportunity to interact with the local people to experience their culture and life style. Overnight at Lodge, Melamchi Bazaar.
Day 10 : Drive Melamchi Bazaar – Kathmandu (1320m, 03 hrs) – B/D
After breakfast, drive to Kathmandu for about 3 hrs. After reaching Kathmandu, transfer to Hotel and rest for refreshment. Enjoy the free time by shopping at some souvenir shops or hanging around thamel (Tourism hub city). In the evening, Farewell dinner in a typical Nepali restaurant with authentic nepali cuisine and cultural dance performance. Overnight at hotel, Kathmandu.
Day 11 : Departure – B
Leisure until departure. Transfer to international airport to board the flight.
1. Airport pick up and drop off service by private vehicle.
2. Welcome drinks (non-alcoholic) and farewell dinner in a typical Nepali restaurant with authentic nepali cuisine and cultural dance show.
3. All accommodation in 3-star category hotels on B/B plan in Kathmandu whilst Tea House accommodation on full board basis (all meals) during the trek.
4. Sightseeing in Kathmandu with private vehicle and local Tour guide.
5. All sightseeing heritage monuments entrance fees.
6. Kathmandu – Sundarijal overland transportation by Private vehicle whilst Melamchi – Kathmandu by Public bus.
7. All the necessary permit charges for trekking (National Park+TIMS), official service charges, government and local taxes.
8. Highly experienced, friendly, government license holder guide and porter with salary, accommodation, food, transportation and insurance.
9. Sleeping bag, down jacket, duffel bag and trekking poles (to be returned after the completion of trekking).
10. Medical supplies (First aid kit) carried by Trekking leader.
11. Arrangement of helicopter service for the rescue of emergency situation which will be paid by your travel insurance company.
1. Nepalese visa fee.
2. International airfare.
3. Trekking, medical and travel insurance (Compulsory).
4. Lunches and Dinners not mentioned above.
5. All personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc).
6. All the alcoholic and non-alcoholic hot and cold drinks.
7. Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or Tea House due to early arrival or late departure, early return or late return from mountain due to any reason than the scheduled itinerary.
8. Tips for the guide, porter and driver (tips is expected).